Saturday, January 26, 2013

She was wishing for a rainbow…

My oldest daughter has officially gotten beyond the baby years, and now the toddler years. This year she started kindergarten, and now has turned 6. I don’t know about you moms out there, but I feel like 6 is a huge change. She’s not a baby by far, but up till five, she seemed to still felt like a toddler to me. Now she is a big girl!

Every year we have a house full of visitors for New Year’s Eve, as well as, the week leading up to it, so it is not hard to throw a nice size party for the little princess. This year, however, the weather had other plans for us.. so, they were unable to make it. In desperation, at the last minute, I called her two best friends from school. I was super lucky that their moms are so laid back, they didn’t care that I give them only a 5 day notice. :)

I did play it up on Alisa’s behalf, that we were unable to have a party this year, then proceeded to ask what she’d like to do on her special day. I was quite surprised to hear her say sledding. So Alisa, her sister, and her dad went to the lovely park down the road from us.

DSC_1001

Is it not beautiful? Even I, a person who hates snow, don’t mind going here once in a blue moon. The “triangle” at the top of the hill has a few benches in it to sit down for a bit if your out of shape and can’t trek up that big hill. I’m not gonna lie, I’ve had to use it.

While they were gone, I decided to take on the project of décor and cake. I had told Alisa that we were going to have a couple family members over, and I do mean two people. I also told her that despite not having the party she really wanted, I had already bought the decorations, and we would still put them up. She didn’t know however that I had one big project in mind.

DSC03744

Have you seen this picture flying around Pinterest? It’s linked to this lady over here. Alisa expressed interest in a “rainbow” party when she still thought we were having a party, so I decided why not?! While they were out freezing their butts off, I was slaving away in a hot kitchen.

kjadkjgk

This was my first attempt at something like this, and it went quite well, for my first time. :)

Dividing into bowls, and food coloring, was the easiest part. Although I felt I had to add red about a thousand times more than the other colors. I don’t remember what website I hunted for the temp and the time, but I ended up just winging it on the time aspect. I did however use a ton of toothpicks, sticking it to make sure they were done. Once they were cooled, I quickly realized there was a side that was easier to ice, with less crumbles. The biggest mistake I made I was able to “cover up” quickly… I split one of the cakes into 3 large pieces while flipping it over. About half way through icing I decided, “never again”. While it made a wonderful cake and I was quite pleased with it, I just don’t have the patience for the icing process.

DSC_0938

So what do you think? Worth it? I think so, even with all the cursing under my breath! Hehe

DSC_0013

The “inside” shot.

Here are some other details of the décor as well: Lollipops were purchased at Micheal’s and the popcorn (each color a different flavor) purchased at a local deli.

DSC_0937

When they came back from sledding, the best friends were showing up for cake, ice cream, & a movie night. It was a ton of fun and Alisa was so happy & surprised. The other moms were impressed with the rainbow cake, and I was excited to have adults to play Uno Attack with. Overall it was a successful party.

No comments:

Post a Comment