Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bosanski Lonac

So I have been trying to get some Bosnian recipes around to share with you, since I went to a friend’s graduation party and pictured these beauties over Here. I will not proclaim to be a professional on Bosnian cooking, nor will my husband ever say I am either, however, I am trying my hardest, and I know he appreciates that.

Now for my little secret: this recipe is the easiest thing you will ever make! Some might think this is dull & bland, but I love the simplicity of the food’s very own flavors blending to create a unique taste. It’s what some might call “a very rustic” flavor.

Wikipedia says that there are many different variations on this, which I am sure is totally true. I use only beef in mine, as my husband can not have pork. Another thing you might find out over at Wikipedia: Bosanski Lonac translates into “Bosnian Pot” {no NOT the hippy kind, the cast iron type}

DSC_0004

Now to get started:

Make sure your meat of choice is thawed out. I use stew meat in mine, about 2 lbs. already chopped up in my meat case.

Put a couple Tablespoons of Oil in the bottom of your dutch oven pan, or stock pot {it will not need to go in the oven, so don’t worry about a heat proof pan}

Now the hardest part of this whole thing… cutting up veggies {as I said before many different variations}. I will be letting you in on what I put in mine.

About 4 large Potatoes, peeled and quartered

1 Medium Onion, peeled and quartered

1 Small head of cabbage, quartered

3 large tomatoes, quartered as well

5 carrots peeled and halved {I personally WOULD like more, but..}

1 teaspoon of garlic {maybe more if you’re a really garlicy person}

3 peppers seeded and halved {I like to use yellow bell peppers}

Salt & Pepper to taste

Now the hard part is over, layer this stuff sporadically throughout the pot, and pour a cup and half of water over this whole pot. Now put a lid on it, put it on medium  for 20 min. and go watch Food Network to see how hard you would need to work, if you decided to have a “non-rustic meal”. hehe

After 20 min., come back and turn it down to a simmer, check your food to make sure the top is not dry, but do not turn, stir or move any food around. If it is a little dry on top add about half a cup more of water. Put the lid back on and walk away again, go weed your garden, play with your kiddos, clean your shower…

40-45 min later, everything should be fork tender. Including your meat.

Viola! Easy as Pie… no actually way easier than pie Smile 

DSC_0001

Once you plate it up, you could put a gravy over it if you’d like. I like to eat it with a “side dollop” of sour cream, which my hubby got me started on. If you’re like me, you’ll probably want to add more salt and pepper too. Yummm, eat up

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katrina, I "borrowed from you a photo from Bosanski Lonac ingredients. Do you mind? If you mind, I delete this photo!
    Yours
    Liliana Dumitru
    http://retetelamama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that is my kind of food. Everything perfectly delicious. Thanks for the meal. ツ

     

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It amazes me how the most simple recipes make the most delicious food. I am glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete